I can’t believe it’s December! My son will be turning 4 months old just before Christmas, and before I know it, it will be 2017! Good golly! As my son naps, I’m currently typing into google docs on my iPhone. So please excuse any grammatical errors! I was wanting to bring my readers a quick holiday buying guide for your littles! (And I mean very little… because, well, that’s what I’m experienced with!) If you are not shopping for anyone with tiny feet this year, check out my holiday buying guide for your kitchen! I bet the cook in your house doesn’t have EVERYTHING on that list!
Depending on how well, or if you know me at all. When I shop, the items I buy have to fall in line with about 80% of the following checklist, with non toxic being the most important. (I try to live by the 80/20 rule, 80% of the time I pretend to care and the other 20% of the time I don’t give a… wait that’s not right. 80% of the time I do care, and try my best, and the other 20% of the time I let things slide.)
- Is it non toxic? (BPA free, phthalate free, fire retardant free?)
- Is it organic? (Not sprayed with pesticides or formaldehyde?)
- Who made it?? (Did I employ someone at a fair wage or did a child/slave make my son’s new toy?)
- Is it sustainable/made in the USA? (Did we save a tree, or a plastic water bottle or at least a boat ride?)
If you’re thinking, wait WHAT?
- Yes, fire retardant might save lives, but it is toxic.
- Pesticides?? Formaldehyde? They have to get that cotton from china to the US without bugs eating it somehow!
- Slaves? Children? Unless the items you are purchasing say “fair trade” or you bought them handmade from a shop you found on instagram or Etsy, assume they were made by someone not getting paid enough to make them.
- I wouldn’t call myself a tree hugger, but cutting down on new materials does make a difference. Even just the way an item is shipped to you can impact our environment. Finding items made in the US, typically but not always, helps to cut down on products being sprayed with formaldehyde and usually means it was made by someone being paid a fair wage.
So back to holiday shopping! The gift giving season can be tough on everyone wallet, and when the person you are buying them for outgrows things very quickly, it can be hard to spend top dollar! I have tried to keep everything on this list under $30!
- Potato Feet Booties! ($)These cute shoes are HANDMADE in the US by a mom of 3. The owner gets to stay at home AND work from home because of supportive shoppers like you and me! I always buy booties that are “gender neutral” that way my future babies or nieces and nephews can wear them too!
- Prince Lionheart Develop Mat: ($25) This mat is great for tummy time or for keeping your LO off the floor. As much as I love our black lab, he has ruined my black and white rug from ikea! This mat can be placed on the ground for baby, and then easily put away or taken with you to Grandma’s House!
- Wooden Developmental and Discovery set: ($25) I don’t know about you, but I love things that are made out of wood! You don’t have to worry about BPA, if they get dropped they won’t crack or break like plastic. This wooden developmental and discovery set not only workings for baby to suck or chew on, but they will also begin to work on their hand eye coordination!
- Green Sprouts Teether Tower: ($17)
Ideal for babies 6 months and older. Baby can play and soothe at the same time with this stackable teethers. Baby will be learning to stack shapes, while learning size recognition and supporting cognitive development. This teether is BPA and phthalate free. Green Sprouts is a great brand too!
- Green Sprouts Stacking Cups: ($7) These cups are BPA and PVC free! Colorful stacking cups with drain holes for engaging bath-time fun. (Or in the living room, without water.) Encourages baby to “dump”, “fill” and “stack” to develop motor skills. Cups fit together for easy storage. This set includes 8 stackable cups with draining holes.
- Organic Farm Buddies Rattle: ($11) These rattles are made of organic cotton, so you can feel confident when they end up in baby’s mouth! Apple park even uses recycled materials for packaging and prints with organic soy ink. These rattles are great for babies all ages. Organic Farm Buddies comes as a rattle, blanket and buddy!
- Wonderworld Natural Stacking Rings: ($14) These wooden rings are dyed natural with fruits and vegetables! Help develop motor skills, or until baby is ready for them, look cute on a shelf! (For 12 months +)
- Modern Burlap Muslin Swaddle: ($26) You have two buying options with this one, either from Modern Burlap directly or from Minted Method Shop! What I love about Minted Method Shop is you can call combine your purchase with other favorite brands and save on shipping! However, the full collection of patterns and quotes is only available on the Modern Burlap site. These swaddles are made with Organic Cotton and are very light weight. I have used my black and white striped swaddle as a nursing cover as well!
- Sophie the Giraffe ($25) Sophie the Giraffe, full of discoveries and activities to awaken baby’s senses. Sight: The dark and contrasting spots all over Sophie the Giraffe’s body provide visual stimulation and make her easily recognizable to baby. She soon becomes a familiar and reassuring object. Hearing: Her squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates his hearings. Taste: Sophie the Giraffe is very flexible and has lots of parts for baby to chew like ears, horns, legs. She is perfect for soothing baby’s sore gum when teething and is completely safe. Made of 100% natural rubber and food paint. Touch: Sophie the Giraffe is perfect for baby’s small hands. She is very light and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grip. She is very soft to touch, stimulating soothing physiological and emotional responses. Smell: The singular scent of natural rubber makes Sophie the Giraffe very special and easy for your child to identify. Sophie is Phthalates and BPA free.
- Bumgenius Freetime Cloth Diapers:($20) As a cloth diapering mom, you can really never have TOO many cloth diapers! The Freetime Cloth diaper by Bumgenius has become my FAVORITE cloth diaper, because it really does give ME more free time! It dries faster than any of my other diapers, does not need to be flipped over to dry faster, no stuffing, no inserts. Just more free time!
I hope that you have enjoyed my post, and have been guided in the right direction! Whether you are trying to put together a list for family who want to by your LO something, buying for your own child, or working on a baby registry!